Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss Totally confused by underlay in the Textile & Carpet Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. kate2017

kate2017 New Member

hello, wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I've gone to two local retailers for a quote for supply and fit of new carpets, both seem great, but have given me conflicting advice about underlay. I'd really appreciate any impartial views please. One says Tredaire Sensation 11mm and the other Cloud 9 Connoisseur 8mm. The carpet going over is a thick pile man made fibre for the bedrooms. I gather the underlays are about the same price, if anything the Cloud 9 is dearer but the Tredaire has the higher db and tog rating.

2. foxpod

foxpod Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

Go For the Connoisseur 8mm
    11 mm underlay is too thick for the gripper and you won`t get a nice tight fit/finish.
    8/9mm underlays are best,the firmer the better.

sidnee and Rugrat like this.
  3. sidnee

sidnee Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

^^^^what he said.

4. Tom

Tom Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Connoisseur 8mm is very good underlay which will be better for gripper height. I also use 10mm connoisseur underlay which is brilliant but I then use a gripper called g9 which stairrods produce and as by the clue in the name it's 9mm in height so is designed for the thicker underlays