Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss Should I repair cracks formed in Seld Level compound? in the Sub Floor Preparation Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. gavvy

gavvy New Member

Hi all

I have a Mapei Ultraplan Reno screed floor on plywood on chipboard. As I stated elsewhere it is not flat. I am considering adding more SLC now that I have researched a lot about the subject.

There are some spider line (thin) cracks that have formed in the 3 weeks since it was poured. I wonder if I should
    • not worry about them and just proceed to primer stage
    • deal with them in some way .. by filling with some sort of material and wait till dry before priming
    • worry a lot about the thin cracks and consider full removal of the SLC. If this is the correct approach, can it be removed back down to the plywood?
    Many thanks in advance guys
    gav

2. pf flooring

pf flooring Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

worry why its cracking myself, although the fibre is designed to be able to crack and move slightly, id be wondering whats caused it, has it been primed has the ply under it been fixed properly, basically movement has caused the cracks and putting more over the top will likely just mean that that cracks will come through again if not fixing the underlying cause first.

3. gavvy

gavvy New Member

4. Spacey

Spacey Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Most fbre reinforced screeds will crack on ply if there's any movement especially if laid to thick. Never understood why there always waterbased with high comprehensive strength. Doesn't make sense really.

pf flooring likes this.