Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss Large rug creeping on fitted carpet in the Textile & Carpet Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. john bradford

john bradford New Member

First, apologies if my search missed previous posts/solutions on this.
    The original, builder-fitted carpeting was of such poor quality that The creeping of rugs laid on top was easily prevented by a few strategically placed drugget pins. However I'm gradually replacing with decent carpeting. In the hallway is a long runner which lives up to its name on the new pile - fortunately it 'runs' on the pile below in a lengthways direction, though the pile is deep enough that it takes a lot of pins across one end [like 12 in 2ft] to anchor it. I foresee problems in the 2 living rooms, which have large woven carpets on the fitted carpeting [and they tend to move even on the old carpet, despite anchoring with pins. I have looked at Lok-Lift [but am sceptical] and thinking of something radically different:
    As the woven carpets are always in the same position, would it be feasible to cut the fitted carpet beneath this area into strips to lay in opposing directions, like stripes on a mown lawn? This way I'm thinking the rug would be pulled evenly in both directions...
    Ok, maybe it wouldn't work, but I'd welcome your thoughts, experiences, sneers, whatever.
    TIA
    D

2. neilrj

neilrj New Member

Not a floor layer, just a lurker, but carpets and rugs are surely a bad idea? It's usually a smooth COLD floor needing rugs or a carpet, both is just silly, and anything fabric is just a store of allergens and crap?

3. St1gzee

St1gzee Member

Radical solution as follows pump a couple of tubes of rubber bathroom sealant in an L shaped fashion working from the outside to the inside within each corned towards the centre of the back of the offending rug or runner.thick beads, let it dry thoroughly say over 48 hrs until it's solid.Turn it over and place it in position..

4. Sully

Sully New Member

It might be worth trying Foxi, it seems to be about the best of the rug grips.