Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss Asbestos ? tiles and gripper Rods in the Textile & Carpet Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

I have just moved into a Housing Association flat and it would appear they haven’t done an asbestos survey, from what I have researched the floor tiles all grey coloured with white streaks look like they have asbestos binding within their make up. Can I ask please?, I realise drilling or hammering them is total out of bounds wit regard to fitting Gripper, am I ok to glue the gripper to these tiles. I am at the stage of fitting my own carpets and would appreciate any advice. The HA I don’t think will contemplate taking them all up as the flat has them in hall, both bedrooms and the lounge.

Any advice please ?.

Also I will no doubt have issues when I want to install door thresholds at a later day but that’s secondary, what do you folks do when you encounter these therma plastic floor tiles - they are the original floor tiles from when the flat was built in 1973 so I’m guessing they will be made Of asbestos and vinyl.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. stretchersi

stretchersi Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Do we fitters encounter thermo's ?
    Every day, my friend , and I have been informed that a lot of tiles and old vinyl looking flooring has an asbestos content, however, there is bad asbestos and not bad asbestos.
    The type in paper backed vinyls and thermo's is , i'm told, not the scary stuff.
    I believed him for two reasons.
    1- He stood there when I was ripping up said paper backed flooring, so would be affected also.
    2- He owned a company that removed the scary asbestos from buildings all over the country, ergo, he should know!